Henge viewshed applet
The applet below displays the monuments in the vicinity of Stonehenge.
When you point at a monument its details are displayed in the browser
Clicking anywhere on the map brings up a control panel.
It may take a while for all of the data and images to be downloaded.
Features of the applet are enabled when the necessary data arrives, so
everything may not work to begin with.
The following controls are available:
- Select the background for the display. The available options are:
- No background: a plain white background.
- Contours: contours representing height above sea level.
- Viewshed: the viewshed of the currently selected henge.
- Whether to highlight monuments as the mouse pointer moves across the
- Static: do not highlight visible monuments. Instead the monuments
visible from a selected henge are highlighted. The henge itself is
highlighted in cyan. Note that the Figsbury Ring henge is not on the
map. The next two controls are only enabled if this option is selected.
- Dynamic: highlight monuments visible from the monument nearest the
- Allows you to select which henge's viewshed is used.
- A text field which allows you to specify the distance from the edge
of the viewshed which is considered significant. Monuments within this
distance are highlighted in red. Other monuments in the viewshed are
yellow and monuments not in the viewshed are white with a grey border.
Hit return after changing the distance value to redraw the map.
- Number visible
- This gives the number of monuments within the given distance of the
viewshed edge and the total number of monuments in the viewshed.
- Check boxes
- There is a set of four check boxes which allow you to turn on or off the
display of different types of monument.
- The cancel button dismisses the control panel.